Science For Summer
Science For Summer
Itâs officially summer, which means barbeques, fun time with family and friends, and if you live in the US, 4th of July weekend is just days away. We all know that the Google Lunar X PRIZE loves rockets. How about building a rocket launcher or rocket car with some kids this summer?
Rocket Launcher Supplies
- Styrofoam Plate
- Toilet Paper Tube
- Film Canister or Pill Bottle (lid should be able to easily pop off)
- Baking Soda
1. Get all supplies within reach.
2. Tape the toilet paper tube to the center of the plate.
3. Fill 1 tbsp of vinegar in the canister/bottle with Â½ tsp of baking soda.
4. Snap on top to canister/bottle.
5. Drop canister/bottle into toilet paper tube.
6. Stand back and rocket should launch within a minute!
Rocket Car Supplies
- 4 Plastic Bottle Caps
- 2 Wooden Skewers
- Small Nail
- 5 Drinking Straws
- 1 20 ounce Plastic Water Bottle
- 1 Large Balloon
- Small Knife
1. Use the hammer and the nail to poke one tiny hole in the center of each bottle cap.
2. Cut the drinking straw into two. With tape, attach one half along the width of top of the bottle and the other along the width of the bottom half.
3. Cut the wooden skewers to be about half an inch longer than the pieces of each straw.
4. Push the skewer through each straw.
5. Attach the bottle caps to each side of the skewer.
6. Using a small knife, cut an X on the top of the bottle right behind the first set of wheels.
7. Tape 4 straws together.
8. Take the straws and insert into the mouth of the large balloon,taping again to seal the balloon and straws together.
9. Take the other side of the straws not attached to the seal of the balloon and thread through the âXâ part of the bottle. The end of the straws should stick out the mouth of the bottle.
10. Blow up the balloon through the straws. Pinch the straws to not let air out.
11. Place your rocket on a hard surface and watch it TAKE OFF!
* Show your Google Lunar X PRIZE pride and decorate the rockets using fun, creative magic marker images.
Note- all rocket activities should be supervised by an adult.